IITDU Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ubuntu: need to fix broken packages without re-downloading debian bundle

3 posters

Go down

Ubuntu: need to fix broken packages without re-downloading debian bundle Empty Ubuntu: need to fix broken packages without re-downloading debian bundle

Post by BIT0220-Iftekhar Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:07 am

Ubuntu version: 10.04 LTS

I need help.
My topic title isn't self-explanatory I tell you first.

I've managed debian packages for LAMP from offline. Ran the following commands in terminal to install the packages:
Code:
iftekhar@Iftekhar-desktop:~/Lamp$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
at the very end of it,showed some errors like below:
Code:
Errors were encountered while processing:
 apache2.2-bin
 apache2.2-common
 apache2-mpm-prefork
 apache2-utils
 libapache2-mod-php5
 libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3
 libdbd-mysql-perl
 libdbi-perl
 mysql-client-5.1
 mysql-server-5.1
 mysql-server
 php5-cli
 php5-mysql
 apache2
And from the Broken filter in synaptic,I found 8 broken packages listed in the image below:
Ubuntu: need to fix broken packages without re-downloading debian bundle Broken10

Those packages were around 30 MB in size. I don't prefer them to re-download.
What's your suggestion to make current packages usable?

Here's mentionable, I've fixed broken packages from synaptic but it ultimately uninstalled them all. So the fix came of no use to me.
And let me know what further details are needed. Thanks in advance for you. Smile

Last edited by BIT0220-Iftekhar on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:11 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Topic title modified)
BIT0220-Iftekhar
BIT0220-Iftekhar
Administrator-RC

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : B+

http://iftekharunplugged.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Ubuntu: need to fix broken packages without re-downloading debian bundle Empty Re: Ubuntu: need to fix broken packages without re-downloading debian bundle

Post by BIT0111-muctadir Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:58 am

Fixing broked dependency without downloading may not be possible always. Broken dependency can be resolved with
Code:
sudo apt-get install -f
This forcely installs missing dependency packages and fix the dependency.

And one thing I want to say is, installing LAMPP from archive is prefered. Installing from debian packages can cause defferent problems like configuring LAMPP. One advantage of installing from .tar archive is, if you do some thing wrong just delete installation directory and extract again.
BIT0111-muctadir
BIT0111-muctadir
Expert
Expert

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Ubuntu: need to fix broken packages without re-downloading debian bundle Empty Re: Ubuntu: need to fix broken packages without re-downloading debian bundle

Post by BIT0122-Amit Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:46 pm

So.. is this problem solved, or what?

And there are differences between LAMPP archive and LAMP Deb.
LAMPP (Now known as Xampp for Linux) is just a package provided by Xampp. It offers no security whatsoever, as claimed by Xampp itself and is not inspired to be used in development and production environment alike. It acts like a server itself, misleading to the conception that LAMPP is a web server, php interpreter and mySql server at the same time, whereas it is just an interface to all of them.

I noticed in some of the younger presentations that the presenters were talking about a LAMPP server and things like that.

However, LAMP is the product provided by Ubuntu which includes software, and offers a more server like experience. You get to know what is happening around, and you get to know the security measurements.

But still, it is upto one whether to use LAMP or LAMPP. In my opinion, it is better if you understand how LAMP works, and only after that, if you prefer to use LAMPP.

I prefer LAMP anyway.
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : O+

https://iitdu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0220-Iftekhar Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:04 am

Unfortunately, the problem isn't over yet. Neutral

Since fixing broken packages isn't enough,I need to re-download the archives for LAMP as Muctadir vai assisted.
I will update the topic as soon as it works.

BTW,nice to read that brief explanation of LAMPP and LAMP. I thought LAMP was better as Amit vai assisted me. Smile
BIT0220-Iftekhar
BIT0220-Iftekhar
Administrator-RC

Course(s) :
  • BIT

http://iftekharunplugged.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down