IITDU Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help to install software in ubuntu from .deb archive

4 posters

Go down

Need help to install software in ubuntu from .deb archive Empty Need help to install software in ubuntu from .deb archive

Post by BIT0201-farhan Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:09 am

Hello everyone,
i need help to install ubuntu software from .deb archive as my network connection is very slow.Can any one help me out????

Last edited by LordAmit on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .dev->.deb)
BIT0201-farhan
BIT0201-farhan
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : AB+

Back to top Go down

Need help to install software in ubuntu from .deb archive Empty Re: Need help to install software in ubuntu from .deb archive

Post by BIT0111-muctadir Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:36 am

If you have a computer with a faster internet, you can download those deb files from that computer and install them in your computer. For that you have to run the command below in your own computer.
Code:
sudo apt-get update
If you are doing this for the first time, your ubuntu will download about 11MB. Now, open the synaptic package manager from System>Administration. Provide password if asked. There is a search button. Press that button and search for your desired software. For example, if you want to install eclipse, search for that. You will get several results. Make sure to select the right one. Right click on that one and press mark for installation. Some dependency related dialogue will be shown. Just press ok. After finishing selection, press File and select Generate Package Download Script. Save the file in your pendrive. Take the file to the computer having faster internet and ubuntu installed, double click on the file and press Run in terminal. This will download all the files necessary to install software you selected. Now, take these packages to your pc and run this command
Code:
sudo nautilus
A window will open. Go to /var/cache/apt/archives and paste downloaded files.

At last you are ready to install applications in your own pc. Open a terminal and run
Code:
sudo apt-get install <name of your selected applications>
Or you can install them from Software Center. You can also install upgrades in this way. Just press Mark all upgrades while selecting packages.

Let me know if you face any problem.

And never forget to enjoy UBUNTU.
BIT0111-muctadir
BIT0111-muctadir
Expert
Expert

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : B+

Back to top Go down

Need help to install software in ubuntu from .deb archive Empty Re: Need help to install software in ubuntu from .deb archive

Post by BIT0201-farhan Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:20 am

thank u vaia.....but one thing is unsure to me...Is it necessary to unplug internet when i'm installing the software?
BIT0201-farhan
BIT0201-farhan
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:58 am

Erm, is not that supposed to be .deb file? Neutral
I don't remember seeing any .dev file in ubuntu, unless he is talking about a developer package of a software.

Muctadir, what's your opinion?
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : O+

https://iitdu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0201-farhan Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:43 am

oppz sorry...text mistake..... Crying or Very sad
BIT0201-farhan
BIT0201-farhan
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:44 am

Topic title edited Wink

BTW, .deb files are called debian file. So you can call them debian Smile
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0201-farhan Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:04 am

thnku vaia..... Very Happy....
BIT0201-farhan
BIT0201-farhan
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:10 am

Sms language. Avoid it.
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0102-Mohaimin Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:29 pm

Muctadir, I am not sure why you gave such a long solution. I think it could be much simpler.
Open terminal and type
Code:

sudo nautilus /var/cache/apt/archive/
The archive directory will be opened with root permission.
Now paste your packages in that directory.
Type
Code:

sudo apt-get install <package-name>

If all dependency are met, your software will be installed even if network is disabled.

Last edited by BIT0102-Mohaimin on Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Problem with formatting)
BIT0102-Mohaimin
BIT0102-Mohaimin
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : B+

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0201-farhan Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:34 am

thank u every one..... Very Happy.....my problem is solved....
BIT0201-farhan
BIT0201-farhan
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:09 am

Muctadir, please mark this topic as solved Smile
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down