IITDU Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recover deleted files in Ubuntu

Go down

Recover deleted files in Ubuntu Empty Recover deleted files in Ubuntu

Post by BIT0122-Amit Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:58 pm

There I was, cleaning up some files from my pendrive and suddenly..

Oh my god!! I deleted files from my HDD's NTFS drive..

Of course, I was panicked. But then I took the help of google. Apparently, files can be recovered on some certain conditions even if the operating system is ubuntu regardless of the filesystem.
Among various choices, I decided to use Photorec.

You need to install a small package first.

Code:
sudo apt-get install teskdisk

and then execute this:

Code:
sudo photorec

It is a user friendly terminal based program. All instructions are given to you to help you choose between different options.

But one thing about it is that I was not able to specify exactly what kind of file it should recover. So I ended up recovering about 11 GB files from my NTFS partition when the lost file was only about 20MB ^_^.

Keep in mind that it will try to recover anything it can, thus it will need lot of space in the output directory.

Also, it will not recover the files in the name you saved. So, don't expect to find the files you need easily.
What I did was to recover all files in a specific folder. Then I searched using .doc, .zip etc to find all files. then it became easier to find the specific files for me Smile

The software claims to recover data even from ext formats. But I didn't verify it. For now, it saved me by recovering files from ntfs.
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : O+

https://iitdu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down