IITDU Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using Squirrel SQL client to Connect to Oracle 10G in ubuntu

2 posters

Go down

Using Squirrel SQL client to Connect to Oracle 10G in ubuntu Empty Using Squirrel SQL client to Connect to Oracle 10G in ubuntu

Post by BIT0122-Amit Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:26 am

I just found the way Using Squirrel SQL client to Connect to Oracle 10G in ubuntu 567595
First of all, Squirrel is a very lite Toad like software. However, its
advantage is that it is only 20 MB in size and it is actually a jar file
which can be used as an installer in any system. it can be used in
mac, windows, and linux Using Squirrel SQL client to Connect to Oracle 10G in ubuntu 567595

Here is the screenshot of My Squirrel:

Using Squirrel SQL client to Connect to Oracle 10G in ubuntu Sq110

Note: The image is the squirrel after severe modification in several settings. After installation, it might not look as good as this.

Setting it up:

Download it from here
now, open it using the command in terminal:
Code:
java -jar squirrel-sql-3.1.2-install.jar
it will ask you where to install it. As my username is lordamit, I installed it in /home/lordamit/squirrel-sql-3.1.2/

Optional Plugins I have choosen for Installation:

Data Import
DBCopy
DB2
MySQL
OracleSmart Tools
SQL Parametrisation
SQL Replace
SQL validator

It will be installed very quickly. Continue clicking on Next until you see installation finished successfully.

Showing it the JDBC Driver of Oracle:

We are going to use Oracle thin JDBC driver. There are many versions available. I am going to use the classes12.jar driver which I downloaded from here

Configuring Squirrel:

After you install it, it will create menu entries on desktop and on the applications menu. The desktop entry will look like a text file because it doesn't have the permission to be executed as a program. Anyway, open squirrel from application > Squirrel SQL client.

there, You will see many things. Look left. there are two submenus, called alias and driver. Click on driver. Use the scroll bar to find out the
Oracle Thin Driver entry.

Using Squirrel SQL client to Connect to Oracle 10G in ubuntu Screenshot4

Double click on it. It will show you another window, details about the oracle thin driver.Now, click on the extra class path. Click on add.

Using Squirrel SQL client to Connect to Oracle 10G in ubuntu Screenshot5

Show the classes12.jar file so that it becomes like:

Using Squirrel SQL client to Connect to Oracle 10G in ubuntu List_drivers

Click on list drivers. Look at the drop down menu below. Select oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver and press Ok.
We need to find your oracle configuration for client connection.Open terminal and type:

Code:
cd $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin

NOTICE THE $ORACLE_HOME. It is not oracle_home or $oracle_home.
type
Code:
gedit tnsnames.ora
it will give you something like:

Code:
XE =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = lordamit-laptop)(PORT = 1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = XE)
    )
  )

Here, we can find some important things. Match your tnsnames.ora file and note the following details like me:
Database-name : XE
Server / Host = lordamit-laptop
Port: 1521
Remember, these are case sensitive. close the tnsnames.ora file. Now, once again. get back to squirrel. From the left menu, select Aliases. Click on the plus button to add a new alias.

now, make the following configurations:

Using Squirrel SQL client to Connect to Oracle 10G in ubuntu Screenshot7

Name: myHR (change it if you want)
Driver: Oracle Thin driver
URL: jdbc:oracle:thin:@lordamit-laptop:1521:XE (replace it with the info you got from tnsnames.ora)
Username: HR
password: iit123
now, press ok. It will be saved. You can now press Connect to connect to your oracle
(you need to start database from the applications> oracle of course) database Using Squirrel SQL client to Connect to Oracle 10G in ubuntu 567595)

NOTE:

I have checked and double checked the instructions myself. I went to the trouble of uninstalling Squirrel and then reinstalling it again so that i can take the screenshots in each steps. If it does not work for you, there is probably something wrong. And remember, starting database is a lengthy process. Wait at least 2 minutes before you panic and start shouting "HELP! it is not working!! I can't connect!!" .

Go to http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex and see if your page loads. If it does not load, It means your oracle database is still being opened, mounted, instantiated etc etc.

In case you want to uninstall it, there is a folder called uninstall inside the squirell installation directory.
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : O+

https://iitdu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Using Squirrel SQL client to Connect to Oracle 10G in ubuntu Empty Re: Using Squirrel SQL client to Connect to Oracle 10G in ubuntu

Post by BIT0103-Ovid Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:06 pm

nicely explained. keep up the good work Very Happy
BIT0103-Ovid
BIT0103-Ovid
Release Candidate
Release Candidate

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : O-

Back to top Go down