IITDU Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mathematical Problem Solving Discussion, will you participate?

+6
BIT0107-Toma
BIT0104-ANIK
BIT0213-forhad
BIT0208-Shuvo
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0102-Mohaimin
10 posters

Go down

Do you think you will join?

Mathematical Problem Solving Discussion, will you participate? Vote_lcap92%Mathematical Problem Solving Discussion, will you participate? Vote_rcap 92% 
[ 11 ]
Mathematical Problem Solving Discussion, will you participate? Vote_lcap8%Mathematical Problem Solving Discussion, will you participate? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 12

Mathematical Problem Solving Discussion, will you participate? Empty Mathematical Problem Solving Discussion, will you participate?

Post by BIT0102-Mohaimin Sat May 28, 2011 11:50 pm

The other day Anik proposed me to start a Math Club at IIT. I was not that interested in a formal club but we ended up with a decision.
Nipu and Tajkia were also with us. we decided to have a weekly discussion on Mathematical Problem Solving Strategy in the time of our internship. May be Saturday will fit to most of us.

I have prior experience of discussing the same topic with school students, I believe it will not be very hard for me to run the discussion. However, it entirely depends on the participation. So, are you with us?
The pole is for only yes or no. Reply to the topic for other options.

Do not hesitate to vote "No". We just want to know how many are interested.

Please note that our target is BIT01 students. The schedule will be decided by them. Still, other students are welcome if they want. Also, the pole is open for all.

Last edited by BIT0102-Mohaimin on Sat May 28, 2011 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammer)
BIT0102-Mohaimin
BIT0102-Mohaimin
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : B+

Back to top Go down

Mathematical Problem Solving Discussion, will you participate? Empty Re: Mathematical Problem Solving Discussion, will you participate?

Post by BIT0102-Mohaimin Sun May 29, 2011 12:55 am

Please leave a comment if you have voted yes.
BIT0102-Mohaimin
BIT0102-Mohaimin
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Mathematical Problem Solving Discussion, will you participate? Empty Re: Mathematical Problem Solving Discussion, will you participate?

Post by BIT0122-Amit Sun May 29, 2011 1:02 am

BIT0102-Mohaimin wrote:Please leave a comment if you have voted yes.

What if I voted No? Neutral
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : O+

https://iitdu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0208-Shuvo Sun May 29, 2011 1:11 am

Obviously yes , and that's really a great idea Smile
BIT0208-Shuvo
BIT0208-Shuvo
Global Moderator-RC

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0102-Mohaimin Sun May 29, 2011 1:32 am

BIT0122-Amit wrote:
BIT0102-Mohaimin wrote:Please leave a comment if you have voted yes.

What if I voted No? Neutral

Then its up to you. We want to know who are interested.
BIT0102-Mohaimin
BIT0102-Mohaimin
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Sun May 29, 2011 1:34 am

I am a bit confused about "Mathematical problem solving strategy". Can you please elaborate it a bit more? Like, what type of mathematical problem?

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just want to gain a bit more knowledge about it before taking my decision.
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0213-forhad Sun May 29, 2011 2:46 am

ভাই আমি আছি। bounce

BIT0213-forhad
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0104-ANIK Sun May 29, 2011 3:09 am

BIT0122-Amit wrote:I am a bit confused about "Mathematical problem solving strategy". Can you please elaborate it a bit more? Like, what type of mathematical problem?

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just want to gain a bit more knowledge about it before taking my decision.

Actually, I think that part 'Mathematical problem solving strategy', mostly involves the mathematical approaches towards solving programming problems. We won't discuss about the Ordinary Differential Equations or things like that. Rather, we would discuss about how can we use math and algorithms to solve programming problems.

So, briefly..

Goal: Solving programming problems.
Tools: Math and algorithms (most powerful tools towards achieving that goal).
Discuss: What are these tools and how can we use them.

In my opinion, it is not possible to implement algorithms precisely and efficiently without a certain level of knowledge of math. So we would learn them both.
It was my intent when i talked with mohaimin. So I'm awaiting his response about it.
BIT0104-ANIK
BIT0104-ANIK
Administrator
Administrator

Course(s) :
  • BIT

http://anikstech.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0102-Mohaimin Sun May 29, 2011 4:54 am

BIT0104-ANIK wrote:Actually, I think that part 'Mathematical problem solving strategy', mostly involves the mathematical approaches towards solving programming problems.
Agreed except the programming thing.
BIT0104-ANIK wrote:
We won't discuss about the Ordinary Differential Equations or things like that. Rather, we would discuss about how can we use math
Agreed.
BIT0104-ANIK wrote:and algorithms to solve programming problems.
Disagreed.
BIT0104-ANIK wrote:
So, briefly.
Goal: Solving programming problems.
Of course.
BIT0104-ANIK wrote:Tools: Math
Yes.
BIT0104-ANIK wrote:and algorithms (most powerful tools towards achieving that goal).
I dont believe it that way.
BIT0104-ANIK wrote:
Discuss: What are these tools and how can we use them.
Exactly.

BIT0122-Amit wrote:I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just want to gain a bit more knowledge about it before taking my decision.
Hei, no question is stupid. Stupid can be the answers. Your question is actually very expected.
Now, I am trying to explain the Term "Mathematical Problem Solving Strategy".

This is entirely a mental thing, and does not specifically linked to any branch of mathematics. It is all about creating a mind set inside you. This topic does not try to teach you mathematics. It teaches you how to approach with a problem. You will surprised to find that a seemingly impossible problem may have a very ordinary solution. Deep knowledge of mathematics does not help you to find that solution, what helps you is some strategies and a mind set.
After six months of discussion with problem solving, you will not possibly find any significant change in your knowledge level of mathematics. But I hope your efficiency will be increased. I mean, you will be able to use the best of the knowledge you have. I am so confident because I have a clear guideline about how to approach with this topic and also have a wonderful reference book: The Art and Craft of Problem Solving. (Sounds familiar?)
Programming contest problems are hardly programming. Its all about mathematics and problem solving. So, I believe this discussion will help us to improve contest performance.

One thing I should clarify, there are many people who things that problem solving cannot be taught. However, there are people who have the opposite idea. I am one of them. Paul Zeitz, the writer of the book I mentioned above, demands that it can be taught. There are great peoples agree with his philosophy. What you believe is up to you.
BIT0102-Mohaimin
BIT0102-Mohaimin
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Sun May 29, 2011 5:43 am

Mohaimin, I am jealous. Your writings are at the level of classical music. (That's a compliment.) I am in. Very Happy
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0102-Mohaimin Sun May 29, 2011 12:58 pm

BIT0122-Amit wrote:Mohaimin, I am jealous. Your writings are at the level of classical music. (That's a compliment.) I am in. Very Happy
Taking as ac complement Smile Good that you are convinced.
BIT0102-Mohaimin
BIT0102-Mohaimin
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0107-Toma Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:20 am

Yes

Though I voted earlier but did not leave any comment Razz

BIT0107-Toma
BIT0107-Toma
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0130-Shakkhor Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:41 pm

I'm in too afro
BIT0130-Shakkhor
BIT0130-Shakkhor
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0102-Mohaimin Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi guys,
Lets start on next Saturday...
BIT0102-Mohaimin
BIT0102-Mohaimin
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0220-Iftekhar Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:01 am

Well,I haven't noticed this topic earlier.
There's no reason why one shouldn't participate in this discussion.
I'm in too. Smile
BIT0220-Iftekhar
BIT0220-Iftekhar
Administrator-RC

Course(s) :
  • BIT

http://iftekharunplugged.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0216-Habib Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:25 am

Such an important thing should be appreciated. Lets start it ASAP.
BIT0216-Habib
BIT0216-Habib
Administrator-RC

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0330-MOSHIUR Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:34 am

I always love it. Thanks to launch such a discussion.

BIT0330-MOSHIUR
Pre-Alpha Release
Pre-Alpha Release

Course(s) :
  • BIT

http://www.apprain.net/moshiur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down