IITDU Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IIT projects website, an idea

3 posters

Go down

IIT projects website, an idea Empty IIT projects website, an idea

Post by BIT0102-Mohaimin Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:38 pm

We(all BIT) have developed many many projects in last two years. Most of them are scattered in different places (Hard disks, emails or file uploading sites). Few are in the projects section of this forum which is good.
Some of the projects are real good (for example, iTax by Rokon, Pran and Tabassum). I think all our projects should be stored in a single, well structured website.

I appreciate sharing projects in the forum. But that is not sufficient. A project includes designs, documentation and a lot more things. So, I think we should have a website for our projects in which all projects developed by IITans will be given a "slot". The slot may include download link of the software, source download link, screen-shots, and documentation in html form.

Primarily, I thought about projetcs.iit.univedhaka.edu. But I am not sure it is possible or not. There may be restrictions applied on that. If it is not possible, who cares! We are running a forum quite good. We can run another site our as well.

What is your opinion?

Last edited by BIT0102-Mohaimin on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
BIT0102-Mohaimin
BIT0102-Mohaimin
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : B+

Back to top Go down

IIT projects website, an idea Empty Re: IIT projects website, an idea

Post by BIT0122-Amit Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:53 pm

Razz Correction. Projects are not uploaded here Razz Simply shared Razz Razz

Anyway, a very good suggestion Smile

But I have a few queries.

The slot may include download link of the software(If free)

What if not free? If it is not free, and we are allowing them to store it in site, then probably that will mean they will gain profit from users who are going to download it from site. In that case, it is logical that they share some profit for maintenance cost of site.

Again, if it is not free, then there should be an option for buying it. That means we will have to include online buying option. How, I wonder.

In my humble opinion, sourceforge is a pretty good project hosting website. It gives all the facilities you mentioned, for free Smile Of course, the projects need to be open source.

But, erm.... are any students planning to do software projects at IIT for profit?

Last edited by BIT0122-Amit on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : O+

https://iitdu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0102-Mohaimin Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:38 am

Correcction. Projects are not uploaded here Simply shared
I know. But most of us use the UPLOAD term. In sense that "the link to download is available here"

What if not free? If it is not free, and we are allowing them to store it in site, then probably that will mean they will gain profit from users who are going to download it from site. In that case, it is logical that they share some profit for maintenance cost of site.
You are talking about a lot of details. I did not give any dip thought on any of them. These should be skipped at this moment I suppose.

Again, if it is not free, then there should be an option for buying it. That means we will have to include online buying option. How, I wonder.
Why are you thinking that there should be a buying option!

In my humble opinion, sourceforge is a pretty good project hosting website. It gives all the facilities you mentioned, for free Of course, the projects need to be open source.
Sourceforge (or some other sites like that) does not solve the scattering issue. Neither it represents anything of IIT.

But, erm.... are any students planning to do software projects at IIT for profit?
We are planning this semester. Many are. Why not! That is the future of most of us. However, this is not relevant to this topic so I am not interested to extend it any more.

I did not understand what your opinion is.
BIT0102-Mohaimin
BIT0102-Mohaimin
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:42 am

Why are you thinking that there should be a buying option!

Because you said "If free" Neutral If it is not free, people buy it, right?

I did not understand what your opinion is.

My opinion was-

"Anyway, a very good suggestion"

Along with some questions Neutral

We are planning this semester. Many are. Why not!

Hmm, maybe I didn't express myself clearly :p I was thinking that the project website you were talking about would only include projects we do for IIT.
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

https://iitdu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0102-Mohaimin Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:08 am

Hmm, maybe I didn't express myself clearly :p I was thinking that the project website you were talking about would only include projects we do for IIT.
Not for IIT, at IIT. For our course projects. The project we do for Software Project Lab should have some market value.

Again about the "buying option". Not free means people buy it of course, but why does it mean people buy it from the website I we talking about!!
I just mentioned the not free thing because some may not want to expose their source/project for free. Again, these are not my headache at all at this moment. So I am editing the title-post so that no one else is confused.
BIT0102-Mohaimin
BIT0102-Mohaimin
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0112-Rokon Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:19 pm

I think our projects still are not that much matured to share with world. so Im not agreed with this idea.
And if you really want to share, GitHub is the best place.
BIT0112-Rokon
BIT0112-Rokon
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

http://blog.codexplo.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content