IITDU Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing Chain Call: the fastest notice spreading service

+5
BIT0103-Ovid
BIT0102-Mohaimin
BIT0105-kanak
BIT0129-Tabassum
BIT0122-Amit
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Introducing Chain Call: the fastest notice spreading service Empty Introducing Chain Call: the fastest notice spreading service

Post by BIT0122-Amit Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:28 am

The Idea is simple.

When there is an urgent notice everyone needs to be notified of, the first person (X) to know the notice will call roll 1. Roll 1 will call roll 2, and will pass the message including the name of source = X. This will continue until the last roll is reached.

The chain call will be completed when the last roll calls the source (X).

No skipping will occur. Even if some of the rolls live in the same place.

If skipping occurs, the chain might break. There is no guaranty that everyone will know about the news.

Reason of implementing it:

Anyone can go through bad times, and that includes both me and you. The forum and the group mail is a mighty tool for spreading news very quickly.

But are you absolutely sure that you will get uninterrupted Internet service 24/7 for next all days?

I guess not. God forbids, if something bad happens to any of us, we might not be even interested to use Internet. Forget opening a browser and coming to this website.

Reason for not implementing it:

I have tried to find some reasons for which YOU might not be interested in implementing it, and I found only two reasons.

1. You are a obnoxious self obsessed idiot.
2. You will die by using max 2 taka from your mobile.

Steps that should be taken when people will not respond to chain call:

Unless there is something horribly wrong, a person should respond in a chain call and needs to notify his next roll ASAP.
But if he refuses to do so, he will be banished from the chain call.

For example, say Roll 21 calls me. I am a lazy person and I am not interested in calling Roll 23.
If Roll 23 do not get the message in time, he might be in big problem. And I will be skipped next time a chain call occurs. That is, roll 21 will call roll 23 in next chain call.

Possible questions:

1. Hey! I am roll 22 and roll24, and roll 27 lives with me in the same hall. Can I notify roll 24 and roll 27 instead of calling roll 23?

Answer: Nope.

Explanation:

->Who will notify roll 23?

2. I understand all of these. But if each call takes around 3 minutes, the whole time to spread the whole news among all 30 students will take 90 minutes. Is not forum/group mail faster?

Answer: Maybe. But are you sure everyone will check the forum/mail within the next 4 hours?

Also, I at first thought the idea of X calling X-1 and X+1 roll, and they will call X-2 and X+2 respectively and so on.
But I am not sure if you guys will like the idea of calling 2 people. lets implement calling one person for the time being.

3. What if I can't get the next roll via phone? His phone is turned off/he is not receiving.

Answer: SMS him the notice, and then notify the next roll skipping the unavailable person.

4. I have a thousand free sms in my SIM. Can I SMS instead of calling?

Answer: Nope. When you call, the called person has a better chance of noticing the phone compared to just one tiny vibration of receiving an SMS.

5. I was busy and I was not able to receive the call by my previous roll. What should I do?

Answer: You need to notify the source (X) and me about you not being able to receive the call.

You see, some smart guy might think, "If I do not call my next number, I will get the notice via SMS and my next roll will be notified by my previous roll number. Yay!! I saved 1 TK!!".

Well you are wrong. You need to call X and me/some predetermined person in your batch. so that's 2 TK.

If you do not do so, without proper explanation later, you will be excluded from the chain call.

Who thinks that this is a good idea?
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : O+

https://iitdu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Introducing Chain Call: the fastest notice spreading service Empty Re: Introducing Chain Call: the fastest notice spreading service

Post by BIT0129-Tabassum Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:12 am

Good idea Idea

But there's some questions indeed. Does each and every notice should pass in this way? Suppose, there is an assignment for the next day, do we have to notify all in this way? If there is a government holiday, do we have to do this?How can I know who is the source?
aa....some more issues also comes after this proposal Neutral

Perhaps, its not a nice idea if you want to implement this for all the notices.

Last edited by BIT0129-tabassum on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
BIT0129-Tabassum
BIT0129-Tabassum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : A+

http://probe-tabassum.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Introducing Chain Call: the fastest notice spreading service Empty Re: Introducing Chain Call: the fastest notice spreading service

Post by BIT0122-Amit Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:18 am

BIT0129-tabassum wrote:Good idea Idea

But there's some questions indeed.
Is each and every notice should pass in this way? Suppose, there is an assignment for the next day, do we have to notify all in this way? If there is a government holiday, do we have to do this?How can I know who is the source?
aa....some more issues also comes after this proposal Neutral

Perhaps, its not a nice idea if you want to implement this for all the notices.

The first sentence of the proposal explains the things you have asked already.

But for your convenience, I am coloring them with bigger fonts.

When there is an urgent notice everyone needs to be notified of, the
first person (X) to know the notice will call roll 1. Roll 1 will call
roll 2, and will pass the message including the name of source = X. This
will continue until the last roll is reached.

Assignments are important. Or you can be excluded from the chain mail, be not notified about a 5 marks assignment, and then get stuck at 79.75 like some other people. Smile
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0105-kanak Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:07 pm

This idea is good. But i have some questions..
1. My roll 5 . I only call 6 or 7(if 6 is not in chain)??
2. Where chain break??
3. Who start the chain??
BIT0105-kanak
BIT0105-kanak
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

http://mitaly.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:22 pm

These are some good feedbacks Smile

the answer to your first question is this:

3. What if I can't get the next roll via phone? His phone is turned off/he is not receiving.

Answer: SMS him the notice, and then notify the next roll skipping the unavailable person.

The second question's answer is

The chain call will be completed when the last roll calls the source (X).

And the last question's answer is:

When there is an urgent notice everyone needs to be notified of, the first person (X) to know the notice will call roll 1. Roll 1 will call roll 2, and will pass the message including the name of source = X. This will continue until the last roll is reached.

BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0102-Mohaimin Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 pm

A short and clear message is the best message. Your messages usually fail in both criteria. Razz

Whatever, I have an idea.

Suppose Kanak (5) has got an urgent notice.
He will notify roll 6.
6 will notify 7...
30 will notify 1
1 will notify 2...
4 will notify 5.
5 knows that he started the chain. So, it breaks. (1 redundant call)

Again suppose both 5 and 14 got the notice.
5 will notify 6; 14 will notify 15.
6...14; 19...27.
14 started a chain, so he will break it here; 27 will notify 28.
break.

So you see, the number of people got the initial notice does not matter. The chain break at the right place.
BIT0102-Mohaimin
BIT0102-Mohaimin
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : B+

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:34 pm

yeah >.>

I happen to think what people might ask in advance and tend to answer them in the initial post. Problem is, they don't read it carefully, and end up asking questions I have already answered >.> And regardless of the effort I put to make my speech clear... I fail T_T

I initially thought about actually implementing somewhat like this:

(2 3)
(4 5) (6 7)

It should be the fastest way, each person notifying two of them.

Anyway, simple start does the trick. I insisted that the chain starts from 1 and ends with 30 to ensure that.. every one is notified as the last person will notify the source himself.

But yours is a good one as well.

Edit:
I forgot to mention, I heard from one of the classmates that... his friends told him not to reply here.
I do not know the reason why they told him, or who..

But he said that he liked the idea. And I said he should not let others prevent him from doing things he considers good.

Anyway, I have decided that the chain will be created by only the interested people. The people who are not interested (for example, his friends) will be excluded from the exclusive call and will have to constantly check forum/mail for urgent/emergency notices.
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0103-Ovid Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 am

Very Happy
BIT0103-Ovid
BIT0103-Ovid
Release Candidate
Release Candidate

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : O-

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0112-Rokon Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:11 am

mansher matha ato beshi urbor ken?
BIT0112-Rokon
BIT0112-Rokon
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

http://blog.codexplo.org

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:23 am

Very Happy tui jodi na chash, taile amra tore chain call e rakbo na Very Happy tui 24/7/365 forum / mail check korish Very Happy
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Neutral interesting. People use it, but they don't bother rep++ it Neutral

Oh well.. Smile
I guess they consider it useless.

Or maybe pressing the + button is too difficult...

I know I know Neutral rep++ is costly Neutral
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0220-Iftekhar Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:31 pm

The idea sounds good to me but will it be implemented for BIT02 also ?
In the 'possible question' segment amit bhai wrote:
5. I was busy and I was not able to receive the call by my previous roll. What should I do?

Answer: You need to notify the source (X) and me about you not being able to receive the call.
if this happens to 2 consecutive rolls, like roll 22 and 23 were both busy and unable to receive calls then how will roll 23 be notified of ? the duty of roll 22 in this case is only to call 2 persons, the source X and you/some predetermined person.So he has nothing to send roll 23.
Should roll 21 SMS to both of them ? or should roll 22 send it to 23 ASAP when he gets the SMS of roll 21 ?
BIT0220-Iftekhar
BIT0220-Iftekhar
Administrator-RC

Course(s) :
  • BIT

http://iftekharunplugged.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:40 pm

Any batch can implement it. And this idea is not a must follow. You can modify it for your own use as much as you want. Just make sure that all the notices reach to all students in the lowest possible time.

Interesting question you asked. if roll 22 and roll 23 was both busy, and was not able to receive the call, roll 21 will notify roll 24. So.... how will 22 and 23 be notified?

I guess roll 21 have to notify roll 22, and roll 24 will have to notify both roll 23 and 25.

Although, it is a lil' bit costly, we should not wait for absent roll 22 to notify absent roll 23, where there is a possibility that roll 22 is neglecting his duty and etc.

We can use missed call as well Neutral Say..

5 consecutive mc = call me back ASAP or else you are dead.
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0220-Iftekhar Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:08 pm

To ensure no one escapes from spending a taka [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] i have an idea on the case I mentioned.
roll 22, in my example, as soon as he gets the message from roll 21, should forward it to roll 23.
And he should also call to source X for his inability.
So roll 23, as he couldn't receive the call from roll 21 as well, will get the message from his previous roll.
and roll 23 should do the 2 things as well.
thus both of them spares 2 taka [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] as both were busy.
BIT0220-Iftekhar
BIT0220-Iftekhar
Administrator-RC

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:19 pm

So roll 23, as he couldn't receive the call from roll 21 as well, will get the message from his previous roll.
and roll 23 should do the 2 things as well.

you mean roll 23 will
1. notify roll 24 after he is notified by roll 22 and
2. will notify X?

and what if roll 22 was away from home, was busy playing danguli at a field and returned at home after watching a late night show in a cinema hall? -_-!

he is going to get that message after 8 pm at least, and he will deliver it to roll 23 and so everyone after roll 21 gets the message at late night.

Reaaallly fast >.>

that ruins the very conception of chain call being fast.
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0220-Iftekhar Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:05 am

I don't think u got it right. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Remember i said the case both roll 22 and 23 were busy.
first of all, roll 23 must get the message late, as roll 21 couldn't find him in phone. It is the responsibility for roll 22 to send roll 23 the message ASAP when he receives it from roll 21.
secondly,
there's no way that people after roll 23 will be notified late, because roll 21 will call roll 24 right after not finding either roll 22 or 23 in phone.
the process would have gone on even if roll 24 was busy too. He will be informed by roll 23 then. And in that case, roll 21 will have to call straight to roll 25.
BIT0220-Iftekhar
BIT0220-Iftekhar
Administrator-RC

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0115-Efat Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:37 am

ekta query..........
"jodi ami news ta peye jai r amr ager roll phn na kore taile ki hobe???"
BIT0115-Efat
BIT0115-Efat
Service Release
Service Release

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:10 am

bit0220-Iftekhar wrote:I don't think u got it right. Remember i said the case both roll 22 and 23 were busy.
first of all, roll 23 must get the message late, as roll 21 couldn't find him in phone. It is the responsibility for roll 22 to send roll 23 the message ASAP when he receives it from roll 21.
secondly,
there's no way that people after roll 23 will be notified late, because roll 21 will call roll 24 right after not finding either roll 22 or 23 in phone.
the process would have gone on even if roll 24 was busy too. He will be informed by roll 23 then. And in that case, roll 21 will have to call straight to roll 25.

Let me get this clear.
21 tries to get 22, and then 23, and finds both are unavailable.
so he notifies 24. How will 22 and 23 be notified?

Your suggestion is, 21 will send sms to 22, and 22, when receives that sms and reads it, should notify 23.
My suggestion is, 21 will send sms to 23, and 24 will send sms to 23.

The key difference is that, yours becomes dependent.
Now, say roll 22 is in cinema(2 hours), and 23(5 minutes) is in bathroom. So, how much time will it take to notify both of them in your and my method?

The thing is, anyone can be busy at any time and might not be able to catch the phone call.
So, we should try to understand their position.

Anyway,
BIT0115-Efat wrote:ekta query..........
"jodi ami news ta peye jai r amr ager roll phn na kore taile ki hobe???"

Obviously tui tor porer roll ke janabi.
Karon simple. Dhor ajke jeta hoise, Noman roll 6 re call dise. but oy pae nai. abar Roll 7 reo janae nai. ekhon Jobaer eikhane notice dekhse. Oy shundor kore Shofiqul er number nise. and porer roll re jananor bebostha korse.

The more people participate, the faster it will become.
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0112-Rokon Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:28 am

sobai akta kore kobutor pushle kemon hoi? amr mone hoi aita aro beshi interesting hobe....
sobai kagoje akta bishal eithas/essay likhe kobutor ar paye bedhe dibe.. and j pabe se na pore janala diye fele debe... tar por seo akta etihas likhte suru korbe and aita pathai dibe next joner kace...
BIT0112-Rokon
BIT0112-Rokon
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

http://blog.codexplo.org

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:32 pm

bit0112-rokon wrote:sobai akta kore kobutor pushle kemon hoi? amr mone hoi aita aro beshi interesting hobe....
sobai kagoje akta bishal eithas/essay likhe kobutor ar paye bedhe dibe.. and j pabe se na pore janala diye fele debe... tar por seo akta etihas likhte suru korbe and aita pathai dibe next joner kace...

খুবই ভাল বুদ্ধি। তবে সে ক্ষেত্রে কবুতর গুলা যেসব ময়লা তৈরী করবে সেগুলা সবার বাসায় গিয়ে পরিষ্কার করার দায়িত্ব তোর একার নিতে হবে। অবশ্যই, সেটা একদম বিনামূল্যে।
তোর বুদ্ধি বলে কথা।

আর... কাগজ কিনার খরচও তোর দিতে হবে। তোর বর্ণনা শুনে মনে হচ্ছে কয়েক দিস্তা কাগজ লাগবে মাথাপ্রতি। এত কাগজ আমরা কই পাব বল? তুই নাহয় আমাদের সেগুলা দিবি আরকি, বিনামূল্যে।

BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0104-ANIK Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:04 am

at first i had a feeling that this system might not work well.. because there are offline people like shafiqul.. but last time.. it worked well. so..
big hands for amit..Smile
BIT0104-ANIK
BIT0104-ANIK
Administrator
Administrator

Course(s) :
  • BIT

http://anikstech.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:54 am

BIT0104-ANIK wrote:at first i had a feeling that this system might not work well.. because there are offline people like shafiqul.. but last time.. it worked well. so..
big hands for amit..Smile

Thanks Smile I was prepared to implement this system anyhow... even if that meant creating a chain consisting of only 5-6 people.
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0129-Tabassum Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:11 am

Thanks Smile I was prepared to implement this system anyhow... even if that meant creating a chain consisting of only 5-6 people.

Can you remember when the idea of this chain call was first came into your mind in IIT? It was proposed in 1st semester Razz
BIT0129-Tabassum
BIT0129-Tabassum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:13 am

BIT0129-tabassum wrote:

Can you remember when the idea of this chain call was first came into your mind in IIT? It was proposed in 1st semester Razz

Neutral
You mean I proposed this in 1st semester or someone else did?
Anyway, similar ideas are also implemented throughout the world.. So.. it is not exactly my original idea.
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0129-Tabassum Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:42 am

I meant you proposed the idea 1st in IIT when there wasn't our fourm, I had to call everybody to inform about sociology class Neutral
BIT0129-Tabassum
BIT0129-Tabassum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next