IITDU Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie suggestions wanted

+4
BIT0102-Mohaimin
BIT0112-Rokon
BIT0130-Shakkhor
Kabir-IIT
8 posters

Go down

Movie suggestions wanted Empty Movie suggestions wanted

Post by Kabir-IIT Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:27 pm

As part of our CSE 704: Artificial Intelligence course, we'll be showing up to 3 (three) movies during the next semester. We can invite other batches as well if you want. Please give suggestions for movies keeping in mind the following criteria:

1. The movies should be based primarily on AI or related fields, featuring intelligent machines/entities/technologies.

2. The movies must not contain any material unsuitable for our viewers, or unacceptable to our culture.

3. The movies should be well-made and critically acclaimed. There are lots of "popular" movies out there that we want to avoid. We want to enjoy quality cinema that will make us think.

Looking forward to your suggestions .....
Kabir.
Kabir-IIT
Kabir-IIT
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

Course(s) :
  • N/A

Blood Group : B+

Back to top Go down

Movie suggestions wanted Empty Re: Movie suggestions wanted

Post by BIT0130-Shakkhor Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:27 am

I have some suggestions Very Happy First, you should consider Blade Runner. It's considered to be one of the greatest science fiction films of all time. It's kind of a cult classic, but I think most of us will enjoy this.

Second, there's Star Trek: First Contact. It features a pseudo-race named Borg, that should explain some fundamental differences between a human and a machine. For example, if humans were to lose their individuality, how would they behave.

Finally, i think A.I. Artificial Intelligence is another good choice. It's a Spielberg film and guaranteed to be enjoyed by all of us. Very Happy

Here are some other movies i that i liked.

2001: A Space Odyssey - a movie i didn't understand at all, but has some serious special effect considering it's a 1968 movie.

The Matrix - Popular, yes. But it definitely will "make us think."

Primer - Not AI movie at all. Sci fi. Created by amateurs. Story is suitable for physics geeks, but it's one of the best stories i have ever managed to comprehend.

Minority Report - Not AI related either. Sci Fi. But it may just be the second best work by Spielberg (After Schindler's List, ofcourse).

Edward Scissorhands - Has very little AI related things, more of a romance/fantasy film. But it's a good movie nonetheless.

I, Robot - I didn't watch this one, but looks promising so far.
BIT0130-Shakkhor
BIT0130-Shakkhor
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kabir-IIT Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:04 am

Great Job, Shakkhor. But, we'll be focusing on AI movies, not sci-fi movies. So, Primer, Minority Report and Edward Scissorhands must go. The Matrix is a super movie, but I think almost everyone has seen it. If not, we can keep it under consideration. The others are all good contenders. I must give special mention to Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey. Arguably two of the best AI/Sci-fi movies of all time.
Kabir-IIT
Kabir-IIT
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

Course(s) :
  • N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0112-Rokon Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:21 am

I saw AI last day; I don’t think its all about Artificial Intelligence. It’s all about science fictions.
So I think we can cut it off from the list.
BIT0112-Rokon
BIT0112-Rokon
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : O+

http://blog.codexplo.org

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0102-Mohaimin Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Terminator
BIT0102-Mohaimin
BIT0102-Mohaimin
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0104-ANIK Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Not much movie is available specially on AI. There are movies available on robotics which is a part of AI.

The term 'AI related movies' bears the meaning 'movies based on fields of AI'. Hollywood doesn't touch fields like natural language processing, image processing or these sort of things. So we should accept sci-fi movies. At least movies relating robotics should be accepted. Because Robotics does include critical and core sections of AI.

Or, I propose, we can read Robot series of Issac Asimov. I think it would be much more fun.
BIT0104-ANIK
BIT0104-ANIK
Administrator
Administrator

Course(s) :
  • BIT

http://anikstech.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:08 pm

BIT0104-ANIK wrote:Not much movie is available specially on AI. There are movies available on robotics which is a part of AI.

The term 'AI related movies' bears the meaning 'movies based on fields of AI'. Hollywood doesn't touch fields like natural language processing, image processing or these sort of things. So we should accept sci-fi movies. At least movies relating robotics should be accepted. Because Robotics does include critical and core sections of AI.

Or, I propose, we can read Robot series of Issac Asimov. I think it would be much more fun.

Love that series.
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

https://iitdu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kabir-IIT Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:35 am

Anik,

If the robots can speak, thats Natural language Processing (NLP), and if they have eyes (cameras), thats Image Processing (IP) Smile In AI, when we say Robotics, we generally refer to the dynamics and kinematics of robots. Robotics is not a part of AI per se; it is a different field with a lot of topics (like Machine learning, localization, NLP, IP) overlapping with AI. But what you said is true. AI is at the core of a true robot.

I think we can have films based on robotics because usually our fictitious robots are very AI-rich. Who would make a robot that only has arms/legs/wheels, but can't see or speak? Razz
Kabir-IIT
Kabir-IIT
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

Course(s) :
  • N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Kabir-IIT Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:38 am

But when we say Sci-fi, we're talking about something else. True, most sci-fi movies have some element of AI in them, but "Sci" is not limited to AI. Minority Report or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind are excellent Sci-fi movies with little or no AI involved.
Kabir-IIT
Kabir-IIT
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

Course(s) :
  • N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0130-Shakkhor Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:52 am

BIT0104-ANIK wrote:Or, I propose, we can read Robot series of Issac Asimov.
Or we can watch some documentaries maybe?
BIT0130-Shakkhor
BIT0130-Shakkhor
Programmer
Programmer

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:59 am

That reminds me. there is a great documentary called " Alient Planet" by National Geographic (or was it Discovery?) which features two AI robots sent to an imaginative alient planet to collect data. These two robots had two different characteristics and showed a great deal of AI.

Problem is, I have been searching that documentary for quite some time, could not manage to get my hands on it - yet.

BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kabir-IIT Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:49 am

Yup, we can have documentaries, too. And don't forget animation films (like Wall-E).
Kabir-IIT
Kabir-IIT
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

Course(s) :
  • N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Kabir-IIT Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Dear agents, we'll have our first show next week if possible. So please settle on one movie to start off with.

I propose "Blade Runner"
Kabir-IIT
Kabir-IIT
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

Course(s) :
  • N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Sounds great!
BIT0122-Amit
BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT-0126 Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:01 am

There is a scene in the Movie "I,Robot" where a robot said "I was dreaming.." when he was wake up by a person.... A nice movie to watch.

BIT-0126
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : AB+

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0119-Asif Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 pm

All the great movies have already been suggested by the Agents. I propose one between Blade Runner and A. I. Artificial Intelligence.

Take care,
Asif
BIT0119-Asif
BIT0119-Asif
Study Moderator
Study Moderator

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content